Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pinwheel Quilt

I finished my pinwheel quilt and an very proud of myself for the design.  I had 7 large pinwheels that I made from the cutoff corners of the Heartstrings quilt designed by Gail Yakos.  Not really enough to make a quilt.  I took the coordinating solid strips from the Jellyroll I used,  sewed three jellyrolls together and then cut them in 6.5 inch squares.  I used the tutorial from "that girl that quilts" blog http://www.thatgirlthatquilt.com/2011/11/half-square-triangles-3-ways.html   I wish I had found that tutorial ages ago, what an easy way to make HST.  I did not do any math just let them come out at what size they did.  I now had 8 11 inch HST and 11 8 inch HST.  I cut down one of the large HST to 8 inches and put them on the design board.  After staring at them for a while I found I could cut 8x11 rectangles and, voila, a quilt was born.  I wanted the quilting to stand out so I used a King Tut variegated thread Chariots of Fire.  I pictured this to be a spring quilt so used the Flutterby groovy board for the butterfly's.  And here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment